Virtually Eliminates Cross-Contamination
Temescal's patented PopTop® e-beam sources offer enhanced convenience, reliability, and throughput in applications ranging from optical and microelectronic production to specialized R & D coating. The key to these performance enhancements is Temescal's pneumatically actuated ‘PopTop’ crucible cover, which is raised automatically before turret rotation. The net benefit is the virtual elimination of cross-contamination.
- Temescal 3PT, rated up to 12kW
- Temescal 2PT, rated up to 10kW
- Movable crucible cover, which rises before crucible is rotated
- Pneumatically driven, low-impact cover motion
- Lip of cover recessed around exposed pocket
- Raised structures on underside of cover interlock with crucible web walls
- Virtual elimination of cross-contamination
- Minimal deposition on web walls and on cover margins around exposed pocket
- Reduced risk of damage to source and turret indexer
- Removable/replaceable cover and crucible enable easy source convertibility
- Enhanced crucible cooling improves thermal stability during evaporation
- Adjustable internal and external pole piece extensions optimize beam spot control, regardless of beam position
- Ultra-stable magnetics eliminate the need to regauss magnetic parts following source disassembly
- Power ratings: 1-10 kW (Model 2PT) and 1-12 kW (Model 3PT)
Understanding The Benefits of Temescal's PopTop Source Design
The diagrams below illustrate how the design of the PopTop cover eliminates cross-contamination and reduces deposition on the lip of the cover around the exposed pocket.
Cross-Contamination Path in Conventional Turret Source
Temescal PopTop Source: Interlocking Cover Blocks Cross-Contamination Path
In the photos below, the conventional turret sources show clear evidence of cross-contamination, while the turretin the PopTop source shows none.
Conventional Turret Source
Shadows indicating cross-contamination on walls of adjacent pockets
Temescal PopTop Source
Pockets from which material was evaporated
Heavy build-up on wall of pocket from which material was evaporated
No evidence of cross-contamination on walls of adjacent pocket
As the following photographs show, the design of the PopTop gun’s cover also reduces deposition along the lip ofthe cover around the exposed pocket.
Conventional turret source. Heavy build-up of material deposited on lip of cover is fused with build-up on crucible web wall. Result: High risk of turret jamming.
Temescal PopTop source. Build-upon lip of crucible cover greatly reduced. Risk of jamming eliminated.
Temescal Model 2PT and 3PT ‘PopTop’ SuperSources
Model 2PT Dimensions
Model 3PT Dimensions
Representative Deposition Rates
The chart below shows deposition rates obtained using Temescal sources such as the 2PT and the 3PT. Consult Temescal for detailed information about how deposition rate and uniformity are affected by source operating volt age, beam sweep and density, and other fundamental process variables.
Deposition Rates of Various Materials from Temescal Sources*
*25-cc pockets used in all tests. Source-to-substrate distance: 250 mm
When ordering a Temescal e-gun, you need to follow this process:
Specify a Source
Note: for each source you wish to order, you must select part numbers for:
- A base unit
- An emitter
- A spare parts kit
Specify a Crucible
Specify a Crucible Cover
After selecting your source, crucible and cover, please select any accessories that you would like to add to your order.